U Visa

The U Visa is a form of relief for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and cooperated with law enforcement or government officials to investigate or prosecute the perpetrator. U-Visa eligibility is based on whether the victim corroborated with the law enforcement or government officials and decided to prosecute the offender. Most common qualifying criminal activities are the following: sexual assault, domestic violence, felony assault, rape, abusive sexual contact, and other violent crimes. The process for a U-visa is complex and involves effective communication with local law agencies.


Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), you may be eligible to become a lawful permanent resident (get a Green Card) if you are the victim of battery or extreme cruelty committed by:

  • A U.S. citizen spouse or former spouse;
  • A U.S. citizen parent;
  • A U.S. citizen son or daughter;
  • A lawful permanent resident (LPR) spouse or former spouse; or
  • An LPR parent.

Call Patel Law PLC to set up a consult to discuss whether you are eligible for a U-visa or a greencard under VAWA. Call (602) 266-2169.